Public health officials in Santa Clara County are casting doubt on a shocking story that gained national attention this week in which a San Jose woman claimed she had all four of her limbs amputated after eating grocery store fish.
The story, first detailed in a lengthy post on a GoFundMe page and later reported by multiple media outlets, said doctors had amputated the woman’s arms and legs after she became infected with the Vibrio vulnificus bacteria after cooking and eating the fish at her San Jose home. The fundraiser had generated more than $111,000 in donations as of Wednesday afternoon and was featured on People Magazine and other national news sites.
Dr. Debi Johnson is a medical expert and health journalist dedicated to promoting well-being. With a background in medicine, she offers evidence-based insights into health trends and wellness practices. Beyond her reporting, Dr. Debi enjoys hiking, yoga, and empowering others to lead healthier lives.