Norovirus, not food poisoning, sickened CCSU students: officials

NEW BRITAIN — A norovirus outbreak at Central Connecticut State University caused a recent bout of student sicknesses, officials said.

The outbreak was “limited in scope” and fewer than 10 students tested positive for the virus, CCSU spokesperson Jody Latina said in a news release. Latina said the students who reported feeling sick have recovered and none was admitted to the hospital. “Central will continue to monitor their situation,” she added.

The illnesses, first reported Sept. 27, initially were thought to be related to food poisoning. However, laboratory tests confirmed that norovirus – a highly contagious stomach bug – caused the gastrointestinal symptoms, not a unique food source, according to Latina.

After learning of the outbreak, Latina said, the university increased cleaning of high-touch areas around campus and limited access to areas such as vending machines and kiosks in dining areas until the source was identified.


Denial of responsibility! Pedfire is an automatic aggregator of Global media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, and all materials to their authors. For any complaint, please reach us at – [email protected]. We will take necessary action within 24 hours.
DMCA compliant image

Leave a Comment