Since the use of mobile devices began to increase, brands have tried to find new ways to reach their users via mobile. In the beginning, the most thing was to send offers, promotions, or SMS notifications. Years later, with the arrival of applications, the use of commercial SMS declines in favor of push notifications.
These are instant messages processed by a server that you receive in real-time on your device. In the mobile context, these are messages that the user receives directly on their device. Improves the user experience and is today one of the preferred ways for brands to communicate with their users.
As for the use, it can be used (like the SMS) to carry out commercial campaigns, to warn the user that his order is ready, but also to give news or inform about an upcoming event. The usual thing is that the user receives the notification with sound and vibration, although this depends on the configuration options he chooses for each application. By clicking on the notification, the user can expand information on the news received or access a map showing the location of the event.
A great opportunity for brands
Push notifications are a great marketing tool due to its high open-rate. It is advisable to make the most of it and to keep the user experience at all times:
- The messages are not intrusive, because if the user receives them, it is because he has chosen them in the configuration options of the application. If you agree to receive notifications, you will receive them at any time, even if the app is not open. It’s a big step forward for brands.
- Possibility of segmenting messages by user groups. By having a server that controls the data that has been collected, the appropriate information will be sent depending on the client to whom it is addressed.
- The customer when downloading the application has the choice to receive or not these alerts. However, as we mentioned earlier, push notifications are personalized. They cannot be rejected because only the elements that interest them will be sent to them. thanks to this, it increases user loyalty.
How to optimize your push messages:
- Avoid overwhelming the customer, don’t be pushy. Make the most of the typeface to write and clearly explain what the benefits are to the consumer. Choose your target wisely. A previous study is essential to determine the type of client that interests us. Once we have this information, we will use various means, including push notifications, to reach this target. In this sense, we can highlight that personalized push notifications open 4 times more than generic notifications.
- Look for the day of the week and when your target users are most receptive – that is when the possibilities for interaction are greatest.
- Select really interesting content for each segment of users who will receive your notifications. Otherwise, they might turn off the option to receive notifications or, in extreme cases, uninstall your app.
Finally, we also recommend taking into account some considerations for each operating system …
- Open rate: Push notifications open twice as often on Android devices as they do on iOS.
- Immediacy: Unlike previous data, iOS users are much faster when opening them. This is due to the place these alerts occupy in devices. In iOS, push notifications to take up the center of the screen, while on Android devices, they appear in the left margin of the top corner.